15 June 2008

Lo-Li-Ta

I've just begun listening to Lolita (by Vladimir Nabokov) on audiobook. I've seen the Kubrick movie, so I know the story, but I kinda want to read Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi and I thought it prudent to know a bit more about Nabakov's story before getting involved with this one. Thus the audiobook. (Note: Now that I look up Nafisi's book on Wikipedia, I see that it has four sections, and Lolita is only the first. The second and third sections are Gatsby and (Henry) James, neither of which I've read, so I guess I'll have a bit more to read before I get to Tehran.) The audiobook is narrated by Jeremy Irons. I fully admit that this is the main, okay real, reason I wanted to listen to the audiobook. I could have been satisfied with just the movie before going on to Tehran, but Irons has such a sexaliscious voice that I couldn't really pass up an opportunity to listen to him read a book. There lies the rub. The narrating voice is Humbert, the man who is obsessed with the young Lolita. I'm not very far along--he hasn't even met her yet--but it's obvious he will be fairly explicit in describing his obsession and relations with her. Which is unnerving in and of itself, but with Jeremy Irons' voice is doubly so. I may just get too skeeved out to finish listening. We'll see.

No comments: