13 April 2009

The Engine Driver

Okay, so I'm not really listening to The Decemberists right now, as I'm at work, but I did hear it yesterday and the song was stuck in my head all night, so that's close enough for me.

I'm frustrated beyond belief. I have a program going on right now. It's my second ever. As far as I know, the dude is sitting in an empty room, with no patrons to talk to. Once again the newspaper did not print anything in their Around Town segment on the program. I even emailed back and forth with a real person about it, and it still didn't get printed. I have another email address that I'll try next time. Tomorrow probably, as I'm too frustrated at the moment to concentrate on it right now. The dude is scheduled to be here until 4 o'clock. Hopefully at least one person shows up before then. I posted several flyers around town and a few here in the building; maybe they were enough to generate interest in a few people so that they come. I hope.

If this happens a third time, then I don't know why I even bother. I'm getting paid to schedule programs that aren't being attended. This is ridiculous. I feel useless enough at this job as it is. The next program is one where we had to pay the speaker a good deal of money to come. If that one falls through like these other two, then it's a bit bigger deal as we'd be losing money on the gig.

The dude just came up here. He had one person come in. That's one more than I expected. It's an hour early, but he's left now. No need to stay any longer I guess. Sigh. I feel like such a fucking failure.

No comments: